According to the National Sleep Foundation, 45 percent of Americans report that poor and insufficient sleep affects their daily activities.
Here, we’ll take a look at some things you might now know about sleep. Read on to learn some cool, little known facts about sleep. Then, snuggle up and catch all the Zzzs you need. We all deserve to get quality rest to power our lives.
- 12% of people dream entirely in black and white with older adults experiencing this phenomenon more. Talk about a throwback!
- Humans are the only mammals that willingly delay sleep. Every other animal goes right to sleep at the urge to capture some shut-eye.
- Tiredness peaks twice a day, at 2 a.m. and 2 p.m. Ever heard of fighting that “2 p.m. feeling?”
- The average person can survive two weeks without water, but only 10 days without sleep – although we would not recommend either!
- 8% of Americans sleep naked. Hey, we’re not judging.
- You can lose over a pound of weight while you sleep from exhaling and calories burned. While this won’t be a substitute to getting physical, it’s great to sleep a pound away.
- The ability to remember dreams vanishes quickly. Most forget 50% of their dreams within five minutes of waking up and forget 90% within the next five minutes. Better get a pen and paper!
- Light exposure, even just to the glowing numbers on an alarm clock can cause sleep disturbance even if it doesn’t wake you up. Cue the black-out curtains and sleep mask.